Pitlochry as it is seen today largely dates from Victorian times. However the areas of town known as Moulin and Port-Na-Craig are substantially older. It was during the reign of Queen Victoria in 1842 that the monarch first visited the town. She enjoyed her stay and largely due to her positive opinion of the area, Pitlochry became more widely noticed. The construction of the railway station in 1863 allowed Pitlochry to become a popular tourist destination, a distinction that it continues to hold.
The surrounding areas of Pitlochry are steeped in history. Just a few miles north of town lies the battle ground for the infamous Battle of Killiecrankie, sight of the 1689 Jacobite uprising and continuation of the fall out caused by the ‘Glorious Revolution’ of 1688. The fighting here forms part of the story of how the United Kingdom has gained its political characteristics of today – a sovereign state which encompasses four nations.
In Pitlochry itself more recently, 1951 saw the completion of the Pitlochry Dam and fish ladder, as well as the founding of Pitlochry Festival Theatre by the visionary John Stewart. Both attractions to this day contribute substantially to the character of the town and continue to prove popular for visitors.
The making of whisky has also proved important for the economy of the town over the years and Blair Athol distillery in Pitlochry dates back to 1798, whilst the smallest distillery in Scotland can also be found on the outskirts of Pitlochry: Edradour was founded in 1825.